Re: Screw extractor

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (britcars)
Subject: Re: Screw extractor
From: Paul Amaranth <amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 1994 08:18:29 -0400 (EDT)

> > It's called a Drill-Out (trade marked and patented).  It's a left hand
> > drill bit with a self-centering tip with a screw down expanding collet/
> > extractor.
> >   2) Advance the collet/extractor down towards the drill tip so that 2 or
> >      3 theads are showing.  Bring the drill up to the recommended RPM
> >      speed and insert tool into the hole.  The collet/extractor will
> >      engage the top of the broken bolt and extract it.
>
> I have never had a bolt or stud break off with less torque than some amount
> FAR beyond the maximum that any electric drill I've ever used could hope to
> produce (or any EZout could hope to transmit, for that matter...)

Yeah, and anything that will drill out a grade 8 bolt is bound to be
brittle, and I have never IN MY LIFE had an EZ-out actually work (I
keep trying though, I've broken a lot of them).  The screw down collet
piece also has a hex section at the top so you could put a wrench or
a deep socket on it once your drill stalls.  The collet expands as it
theads down the center drill, so once it's wedged in, it should be in
there pretty solid.  I suspect you use the drill to get the collet
wedged in, then go on to an impact tool.

Some people claim to have removed bolts just by using a left hand drill
bit.  I have never personally witnessed this one either.

Still, the design on this thing is significantly different from an EZout
so it looks like it might actually work.  Who knows, I have a front
end rebuild coming up in the next couple of weeks; I might get an
opportunity to try one ...  If I do, I'll be sure to report it.

--
Paul Amaranth  Manager User Services - office: (313) 370 4541 (also voicemail)
(internet)     amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu  |Best error message that wasn't