Screw extractor

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (britcars)
Subject: Screw extractor
From: Paul Amaranth <amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 1994 09:14:33 -0400 (EDT)
I was wandering around my local industrial tool supply store the other day
and chanced on a brochure for a nifty screw/stud extractor.  I haven't
bought or used one of these, but it looks a lot better than an easy-out
(or is that easy-break?)

It's called a Drill-Out (trade marked and patented).  It's a left hand
drill bit with a self-centering tip with a screw down expanding collet/
extractor.

Here are the instructions from the brochure:
[quote]
  1) Place the Drill-Out tool into a 3/8 variable speed electical drill and
     set for reverse operation.  Move the collet/extractor up to the
     chuck and begin drilling to a depth of 1/2" or 12mm min.
  2) Advance the collet/extractor down towards the drill tip so that 2 or
     3 theads are showing.  Bring the drill up to the recommended RPM
     speed and insert tool into the hole.  The collet/extractor will
     engage the top of the broken bolt and extract it.
  The self-centering point on the drill enables the user to overcome the
  problem of finding the center of the boken bolt even when the break is
  jagged.  This feature for center drilling provides a quick efficient
  extraction without damaging the casting - eliminates drilling a new hole
  and tapping and re-chasing.
[end quote]

The brochure is dated 8/93, so this looks pretty new.  They come in
four sizes (1/4, 5/16, 3/8 and 1/2) and will handle up to Grade 8
bolts.  The next time I break off a bolt, I think I'll try one.  I wish
I had one of these last year when I had to remove a broken thermostat
housing bolt on my TR8.

--
Paul Amaranth  Manager User Services - office: (313) 370 4541 (also voicemail)
(internet)     amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu  |'70 E-type (body in progress)