Re: Statics and Engineers

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Statics and Engineers
From: golder@titan.ppd.Kodak.COM (Patrick Golder)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 94 12:11:06 EDT
> This has never been a problem for me. It could be that the extensions you
> have been using are really too long for use with a torque wrench - I don't
> use extensions longer than about 4" for lug nuts, and prefer no extension
> for smaller nuts/bolts. But a 1" or 2" extension has never made such a problem
> for me. Could it be that your sockets are worn out? Or maybe you are using
> 12-pt sockets - 6-pt sockets grip the nut or bolt head much better, making
> uch a problem much less likely.

I was thinking more in terms of a 6" extension, where the effect I'm
talking about is more obvious.  Even if you were using 6-point sockets
which didn't actually slip off, without supporting the socket end of the
torque wrench, you would not be able to apply torque purely about the axis
of the bolt, as there will be a downward force as well.  In that case,
your wrench isn't measuring *just* the torque on the bolt and you've
actually introduced an error into the reading.  This effect is simply
minimized with a short or no extension.

Patrick