Re: Statics and Engineers

To: "W. Ray Gibbons" <british-cars-request@triumph.cs.utah.edu>,
Subject: Re: Statics and Engineers
From: lupienj@wal.hp.com (John Lupien)
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 94 15:18:44 EDT
> ("bad" torque).  One puts his left palm against the drive head to
> counteract the force that tries to rotate the socket off the head of the
> bolt.  If done properly, this does not affect the torque applied coaxial
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> with the bolt axis.  Your readings will be accurate and your knuckles will
> love you for it.

I can apply about 10 lb-ft of torque with my hand, with no wrench needed.
If I am trying to hold up the head of a torque wrench with a force roughly
equal to that with which I am pushing down on the other end of the torque
wrench, there is some chance that I will apply some coaxial torque to the
bolt by that means, thus reducing the accuracy of the torque wrench reading.
"If done properly", I could be lapping Lime Rock in under a minute ten.
However, I'm not. And if I can find ways to improve my accuracy and
repeatability, such as not touching the head of the torque wrench, I will
make use of them. With the torque wrench, how can you tell if you are
"doing it properly" or not? Granted, having the socket slip off the bolt
and banging my hand on the ubiquitous nearby sharp object isn't "doing it
properly" either, but if that happens I'll know to set the torque on the bolt
again, at the very least...

--
---
John R. Lupien