K&N filter for 1500 Midget

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: K&N filter for 1500 Midget
From: hill@ece.ucdavis.edu (Rich Hill)
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 94 13:03:41 -0700
I have a K&N air filter on my '79 Midget but it barely fits.  The problem
is that the filter housing is very close to the inner fender wall and
actually touches as the engine vibrates.  I consider this to be
undesireable to say the least  --  especially after the thing vibrated
loose and nearly fell off on the Dumbarton Bridge last week.

Does anyone else have a K&N filter on their Midget?  Do you have this problem
or is there a simple way around it (bashing the fender wall to make it fit
would work but has been dismissed from the possible options).  The filter
housing is two round chrome discs with the filter sandwiched in between.   If
the housing was oval, everything would be fine.  If the housing was shifted
up a bit, everything would be OK as well.  Unfortunately, shifting it up
would result in about twice as many holes in the housing as I want.

I think this filter came from Vicky Brit.  The K&N box states that it's for
a Z-S 150 CD  --  I assume they have only one housing for this carb.  Does
anyone have the phone number for K&N -- maybe a call to them would help.

thanks,

Rich Hill