Re: K&N filter for 1500 Midget

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: K&N filter for 1500 Midget
From: Phil Quilliam <pbq@mround.bt.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 94 13:07:20 BST
> Does anyone else have a K&N filter on their Midget?  Do you have
> this problem or is there a simple way around it

I have a K&N on my '79 midget, but it the one-piece oval type which
covers both inlets (it also has a nice 'midget' inscription on the
front plate).

It is a fairly tight fit and has about 1/2 inch clearance over the
lip of the inner wing, and the brake pedal plate (although I guess
your pedal plate is on the other side...). It doesn't foul during
normal driving, but can hit the inner wing if the engine 'bucks' on
startup.

I don't what your setup is, but I found that I couldn't get the car
to run right until I fitted a tubular 4->2->1 manifold. I had particular
trouble getting it to idle. I think the heat from the old cast iron
manifold may have been upsetting things. This may have been why the
original filter box has those ducting pipes running out to the front
grill. I now have it set with richer needles and higher rate piston
damper springs, and it goes really well (and sounds great).

Hope this helps,

Phil

- Name:    Phil Quilliam                  E-mail: pbq@mround.bt.co.uk        -
-                                                 quillipb@boat.bt.co.uk     -
- Address: MLB G/35, BT Laboratories,                                        -
-          Martlesham Heath,              Phone:  (0473)  642867             -
-          Ipswich IP5 7RE                        +44 473 642867             -