Re: Octane Boost and Oil Filter Conversion to Spin-On

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Octane Boost and Oil Filter Conversion to Spin-On
From: mws1@admin01.osi.com (Matt Silveira x292)
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 94 07:08:56 PDT
With regard to using octane boost, lead additive, or any other sorts of
things, I would say that if you converted your cylinder head with the
proper valve components that you are in fine shape.

For those of us that haven't converted, provided that you haven't
rebuilt the engine or head, the lead accumulated to the seats, etc.
should provide enough protection.  All the present additives do is
provide a means (and its seems questionable) to protect valve seats and
intake valves which were engineered to use tetraethyl lead to protect
them.

With regard to the spin on filter kit conversion:

I have done this to two MGBs 18GB engines in two cars I have previously
owned.  Not only is it easy, it is smart to do for one reason alone.
Modern spin-on filters have ant-flow back valves and pressure relief
valves built in, and their integrity in terms of element is superior to
the paper cannister type.  Not only will this protect your engine with
regard to filtration, it will also protect it during cold start and
when the element can no longer pass oil easily.

And yes, they make the oil changing chore a 5 min. job.

P.S.  Finding spin-on elements is a lot less hassle-free--  an added
bonus.