Re: Safety & Colours

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Safety & Colours
From: John Thomas <ccsjst@midge.bath.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 1994 13:02:54 +0100 (BST)
>From the Digest.

> These numbers are surprising, until you think about how many different shades
> of each color there are. What would be more interesting is what _time_of_day_
> each of the colors is most likely to get into an accident.
>
> It seems to me that black and other dark colors would be most likely at
>night.
> (for obvious reasons)
> White, grey, silver, gold, and beige are worst at dawn and dusk. (camo!)
> Other colors depend on the area they are in for their visiblity.
>
> I think bright colors, like intense reds, blues, and greens would be the best
> colors for all times of the day, while dingy colors seem to "wash out" in dim
> light and fog.

One news report I heard suggested a deeper psychological reason - to do with
the personality trait of persons who favour particular colour cars.

The theory is, I guess, that people who go out and buy black,
white or red cars tend to be more agressive drivers who take greater risks.

There was also a link with age, sex and type of car - so you would have
to be very unlucky indeed if you got hit by a a brown Saab driven by a 50
year old female.

Does that make sense to you?

John - Octagonally advantaged of Bath - Thomas

   John Thomas
   1953 (first day's production) MG TF - LHD ex Colorado & Pennsylvania
   j.s.thomas@bath.ac.uk
   Bath University Computing Services