Re: Gas tank holes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gas tank holes
From: mhabich@genesis.nred.ma.us (Michael Habich)
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 1994 22:35:09 -0400 (EDT)
Rob,

Have you ever noticed that you don't see many shops with signs,
"Gas Tanks Welded       In Business 25 Years"?

The procedure you suggest of rinsing the tank might get rid of the gas vapors.
It might trap enough vapors to explode in your face.  If neither, the steam
expansion might still blow something.

Many radiator shops do fix tanks, most cheaply.  New tanks are available too.

So what did I do on the MGA?  Well...  I could have gotten a pretty good
new repro tank for $150, but the fitting wasn't original.  I took the old
tank to the local metal stripper (was a Redi-Strip franchisee, but gave it up)
and had it dipped.   Eighty bucks later I have a clean, bare tank with pits
but (lucky) no holes.  (At this stage it could have been welded or soldered
with complete safety had it needed it--it had been in the strip tank for
over two weeks.)  By the time it's painted and done the old tank shouldn't
cost more than fifty bucks more than a new one.

Mike