Re: Octane of gas

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Octane of gas
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 1994 22:37:25 -0400 (EDT)

> The question(s) is (yes, there is a question here), should I use octane boost
> with this gas in my car.  I have not really had any problems with gas in my
>car
> except when I was traveling through the states last year.  The gas I was
>getting
> down there seem to cause slugish response and poor idle, but it seem to get
> better with a can of octane boost.  (Although I was told my problems could
> be due to increased amounts of alchol in U.S. gas, as apperently it can have a
> larger percentage than is allowed in Canada).

In certain high pollution states, during certain times of the year, they are
required to use oxygenated fuels. You got it, excessive amounts of alcohol.
I do know New York state in the spring time does. When we go to the May
National race at Bridge Hampton, I *now* bring in my own fuel... 93 octane
street gas from a non-oxygenated state.

> If I use octane boost, can I expect any problems, gumming up of things?

Depending on the booster, gum, hose rot, metal rot, and the stuff is highly
toxic. Since the stuff, when mixed at recommended strength, raises octane
by maybe half a point, I'd say don't bother.

> Is all this a non issue, are there different ways of measuring octane.  If so
> how do you convert between "british" octane and "North american" octane?

Bingo! Except it isn't really british vs. N.A. It's 60's vs. 90's. Back in the
old days, there where to methods for measuring octane; the Research method,
and the Motor method. The two were both basicly static tests that used
different base constants (such as temperature). Neither really matched the
dynamics of the automotive enviroment, but the Motor method was considered
closest. However, the reasearch way of things gave numbers that were typically
12-15 points higher than motor, so that was the published octane rating.
This is the 98 your B calls for.

  When the energy crunch of '73 hit, one of the byproducts was the US gov.
requiring octane numbers posted on the pump. And in a typical government
response to an A or B choice, they invented a third rating scale. This is
an average of the Research (RON) and Motor (MON) numbers, called th Pump
octane number (PON). Hence the little formula on each pump "PON=(RON+MON)/2".
I have to assume from your post that Canada adopted this standard also.

 So, your B, at 8.8 compression and standard cam, will do just fine on 92
octane, and may even be happy on 89.

>                               Gary Burrell

    Randy
      randy@taylor.wyvern.com