Re: How tell condition of MGB rear leaf springs?

To: @car.dis
Subject: Re: How tell condition of MGB rear leaf springs?
From: cusack@gumby.msd.ray.com
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 94 09:50:44 EDT
        Marcus,
        I have been following your frustrating SU problem, and I can't
        hold back any longer.  I strongly suspect that your throttle
        shafts and bushings are worn.  I had this problem on my HS6's on
        an MGB, and refused to believe it!  The primary fualt was an
        idle that was too HIGH!  Maybe our local gurus like S. Fisher or
        R. Garnett can give some insight, but lots of air rushing in
        at the shafts may still mix with the gas (lowest pressure point)
        and the engine thinks someone is flooring it, it pumps harder
        and makes things worse (the hell with proper mixture).  My MG wouldn't
        idle below 2000 r.p.m.  In fact the leaks were so bad that spraying
        WD40 or Carb Cleaner at the shaft exteriors didn't make ANY difference
        (which prolonged my diagnosis).  If you can detect play in the shafts...
        Rebush time!

        A couple of weeks ago I read a bunch of mail on DIY carpet installation.
        I was inspired and this weekend went to the local hardware superstore to
        find cut pile black remnants.  No Luck.  BUT - they had marine grade
        black carpet, "Super durable, gas/water/oil resistant, won't fade in UV"
        What could be better for an MG?  $15 later I did most of the interior,
        and had much fun doing it. In fact it came out so well, that I went
        back for more and did the trunk.  Which also looks terrific!  Thanks
        for those articles!

        QUESTION: I have pulled off the big front rubber bumper (must be
        70 lbs. if it's 10 lbs. a'tall) and am going to install a chrome
        bumper front apron, turn signals, and chrome grille.  No chrome
        bumpers though, I'm going for the rally look.  But the frame
        terminates too far forward to accomodate a flush grille seat.  Can
        I just hacksaw out the top 6".  It looks like this piece was an
        afterthought add on over the standard bottom frame that supported
        the chrome bumpers.  Is anyone else crazy enough to have done this
        before?

        Skip Cusack
        1976 MGB slowly approaching the Sebring Racer
        Groton, MA (508) 858-5492
        Cusack.gumby.msd.ray.com