Octane for 69 Spitfire

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Octane for 69 Spitfire
From: John Trindle <jtrindle@ftf03.larc.nasa.gov>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 94 13:15:15 -0400
I may have asked this question before, but don't remember a definitive
answer.  Which grade unleaded do I use in the 69 Spitfire?  Normal compression
(3 out of 4 cylinders) seems to be in the 150 to 160 range.  Does this
mean it is the "high" or "low" compression version of the 1300 engine?  And
should I run it on 87, 89, or 92/93 octane gas?

The reason I ask is, I can't seem to retard pinging out of the engine
totally on 87 octane.  After my mechanic put the new timing chain on, the
distributor is at a different angle, and the marks on the crankshaft pulley
actually seem to make sense.  So, I am trying to set 2 degrees ATDC as
it says on the under-hood sticker.  I get pinging on acceleration... if
I retard further the engine gets really hot and anaemic.  And I still have
some pinging under load!

With luck the "new" MG is delivered tomorrow. ...John
(So what gas do I run in a 73 MG?)

Thanks!!