Re[2]: Car models... Corgi

To: @car.dis
Subject: Re[2]: Car models... Corgi
From: cusack@gumby.msd.ray.com
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 94 12:42:44 EDT
        ALRIGHT!

        I'm back!  Raytheon has finally fixed my low priority
        mail problem.  For almost three months now I have read
        every listing but have not been able to reply.  Ray G. -
        thanks for the feedback.  I did have a car message that
        I sent religously for weeks, but alas it became outdated
        and I lost all hope I would ever get through.  It contained
        a solution for John Trindle, who pulled his hair out trying
        to remove the crankshaft pulley from his B.  John - I was
        there too!  Solution for next time:  put a long handled socket
        wrench on the pulley nut and lay the handle on the inner
        fender wall.  Then - engage the starter!  Works famously, and I
        derived a sense of satisfaction from letting the car do the
        work.  (Doesn't work putting the nut back on...)  And a plee
        to Scott Fisher "Don't sell out Scott!  Put the car away,
        and take a break.  You won't regret it, you have the bug that
        TeriAnn, Keith, I and all of us do."  And we need your great
        technical input too.

        I have a 1976 MGB that I have been restoring for 2 years, and
        this spring it will be on the road!  Monday was exciting as
        I discovered on the way out the door to work that my keys were
        with my wife, and she was at work an hour away!  "Take the day
        OFF!" she pleaded.  "I'll call you when I get there..." So I risked
        it all and put a plate on the B.  I was quite paranoid for the
        first few miles driving an uninsured, unregistered, uninspected
        car but after I calmed down I really enjoyed it.  "Wow, those
        new ball joints really tighted up the steering."  "Here comes
        a pothole - BUMP - you know I think I will stay with the straight
        30W oil in the shocks.." On and on.  Checking all my instruments,
        quantifying the oil leaks and acceleration response.  By the time
        I hit the highway, I wasn't just comfortable, I was transformed
        into Speed Racer himself!  I punched it off the ramp and no sooner
        began looking for Fiat ragtops to instruct than I suddenly realized
        how fragile this reality was.  One wrong move, and the cops tow the
        car and I have to make that call to my wife.  No thanks.

        Moral:  LBC's don't have to be driven illegally to be fun.  And
        man are they fun!  It is really GREAT to be back!

        Skip "I'd rather look over an MG parts car than
                drive a restored Triumph" Cusack
        1976 MGB slowly approaching the Sebring Racer
        Groton, MA (508) 858-5492
        Cusack.gumby.msd.ray.com