Re: Oldest Triumph

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british cars)
Subject: Re: Oldest Triumph
From: britcars@hpfckjs.fc.hp.com
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 94 8:32:58 MDT
Tom,
Asked what the history of the "Super Seven" name was.  I haven't seen
any replies, so I apologize if I missed this.

Here is what I was able to find.  The only Triumph history book I have
that discusses the very early Triumphs is "Triumph Pocket History" by
Michael Frostick.  I have summarized here with out permission.

After WWI there was a booming economy and autos were in great demand.
Most of these autos were rather large saloons, with small engines, not
much fun to drive.  In the mid 20's many of the European car companies
started producing smaller cars, they were lighter, and thus faster and
more fun to drive.  Many of the autos were named based on there
horsepower.  The Super Seven was Triumphs entry into this growing market
for small fast cars.  It was named Super to indicate that it was
superior to the other cars that were similar to it.  And it was named
Seven to indicate it was 7hp.  ( Michael also makes a comment about the
engine size which was 832cc, and that it should have been called an
Eight.  This statement does not follow the hp rule, but would lead you
to believe that the number should be related to the engine size. )

The Super Seven was introduced in 1927, and sold between Ls. 150 and Ls.
200.
--

Kevin Spooner
The Sports Works of Greeley