A-H 3000 Valve Question

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: A-H 3000 Valve Question
From: okane@cscns.com (Olin Kane)
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 1994 08:38:29 -0600 (MDT)
I just had a local shop do a valve job on my Austin-Healey 3000. I just gave
them the head and valves. Last night I started to reassemble the valve train
and discovered that I don't know where the valve seals go. These are little
o-rings that slip over the valve shaft. They fit at either location a) or
b):
     _____________
    |             |
    |__         __|
      |         |
      |         |
      |         |   <-----  keeper fits in this area
      |         |
      |         |   <-----  a)
      /          \             or
     |            |___
     |            |   | <---- valve guide (with valve fully depressed)

Which is correct? Seems like they should go at a) but I don't see how they
do any sealing at that location. Don't see how they seal at location b)
either for that matter. If someone knows the answer, please let me know
today if you can so I can finish the job tonight.

Thanks in advance.
Olin Kane
okane@cscns.com