Re: Relatively scarce bits for Mk.IV Spit sought

To: amace%sedofis@VM1.NYSED.GOV
Subject: Re: Relatively scarce bits for Mk.IV Spit sought
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 1994 17:55:59 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 11 Apr 1994 amace%sedofis@VM1.NYSED.GOV wrote:

>   wheel for a Mk.IV Spitfire? I don't recall seeing these on any
>   other car imported to the U.S., and I believe it was a seldom-
>   chosen option on the Spitfire that was dropped after about 1972.

When my son bought his house, I found a couple of rusty bolt-on wire
wheels in the weeds.  I gave them to a very knowledgable british car
mechanic (since gone).  He was convinced they were for a Spitfire (I think
the center logo was Triumph).  He said they were US wheels, made by Dayton
for dealer installation.  He really knew his lbc's, so your friend might
try Dayton.  The wheels I had seemed quasi universal; as I recall the
center caps had stick on labels.

Ray