Don't give them Spit...

To: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com
Subject: Don't give them Spit...
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 1994 16:15:03 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 11 Apr 1994 lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com wrote:

> If I export a Spit Mk.1 to the UK, and sell it there, what kind of import
> duties/taxes are there in England?
>
> Since I've just acquired a clean Mark 1 Spit, I'm considering getting
it all
> spiffed up and assembled and taking it with us to England next spring,
and
> possibly selling there when we return.
>
> Any comments/information? >

I believe that there is no import duty on british-made goods being
reimported to their country of origin.  My impression from reading 3-4
british car mags per month for several years is that brits pay about 50%
more than we would pay for the same car.  For some time, but especially
during the years when prices went orbital, there was a lot of importation
of lbcs from the US to Britain.  So, if there is a significant
differential between existing prices in Britain and the cost of putting an
American lbc on the dock, there is a well greased machinery ready to reap
the profit.  In other words, you might break even or make a little, but
you are not likely to make much, because if you can make much, they will
import more cars until you won't make much.  Also, brits seem to deduct
for LHD and smog devices.  I wouldn't think it would be worth the hassle.
I guess I'd keep the car to enjoy here, and rent a car in England.

I'm prejudiced, though, because I kind of resent the British attitude.
When it suited them, they sent us tons of british cars.  They couldn't
unload them fast enough.  "Here, American cousins," they said in syrupy
tones, "don't you want more Austin Americas?  How about a few thousand
Singers done up to look almost like MGs?" Now when it suits them, they
want the best ones back.  As the guy on the parapet in the beginning of
Monty Python and the Holy Grail might have said, "HA, English Pig-Dogs!
We spit upon your funny coloured pound notes." :-)

Ray "I can't find a $500 rust-free Lea Francis 14 Sports" Gibbons

                Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910