Re: [Q] Bugeye Frame

To: "Alexander R. Levinson" <alevinso@motown.ge.com>
Subject: Re: [Q] Bugeye Frame
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 1994 15:09:38 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 11 Apr 1994, Alexander R. Levinson wrote:

> Folks,
> I noticed that the frame on my '60 Bugeye is slightly bent upwared. I am a
>
> I have the car upside down (doing a complete re-build of the underside -
> floorpan, sils, posts, the works...). I just noticed that the two box
> cross-section members that form the H main beam assembly underneath the engine
> are bent upward just bit. Not a lot, about a degree or so. The bend is right
> behind the front suspension spring mounts.
>
> Both the main beams are bent upward by same amount, it is as if the car had
> landed squarely on its front after a short flight. Should one side get more
> beating then the other after a stunt like this? There are no other signs
> of frame or suspension damage.

I worried about that too.  But rest easy, the frame rails are supposed to
be bent that way.  I have heard a story, which might even be true, about
an owner who stripped his bugeye to save money, preparatory to turning the
shell over to a professional restorer.  He delivered it, and proudly asked
the professional how much he had saved by straightening the bent front
frame rails himself.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910