Overheating and Handbrakes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (British Car List),
Subject: Overheating and Handbrakes
From: gavin@csis.dit.csiro.au (Gavin Walker)
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 1994 10:43:59 +1000 (EST)
Hello All
  On the topic of overheating and electric fans it seems that much
awaited SUs I was going to put on my SD1 don't support a fan
temperature switch.  On P6Bs there is a triangular sensor on the top
front of the intake manifold which is used to determine when the engine
is warm.  This will in turn light a warning light if the choke is
still on.  On SD1s with Strombergs there is no need for this light
(auto chokes) so the sensor is used to temperature switch the electric
fan that comes with a/c.
  The new SUs don't have provision for this sensor (solid triangle)
however I still want the electric fan to come on when it gets hot.
Does anyone know of a good alternative for this sensor?

  I was driving home a week ago in slow traffic, about 25C ambient
temperature and the engine got fairly warm.  When it reached 100C I cut
the a/c and kept it out of gear (auto) as much as possible.  The engine
stabilised on about 115C.  The interesting thing is that I saw no steam
and when I got back on the highway the temperature didn't get any cooler.
The next morning I drove off, forgetting to check the coolant level,
in 15C whether and overheated 130C on the way to work.  When I pulled
over steam flooded out.  Coolant was leaking under pressure from where
the top radiator hose attaches to the inlet manifold.  The expansion
tank was cold and the engine drank about 3 litres of water (11l
capacity).

  On a different subject has anyone had any problems with binding
handbrake cables?  I spent most of the weekend trying to adjust the
handbrake.  The adjustment is OK now but the plastic coated cable
binds to the metal sheath.  The net effect is the handbrake will pull
on but to release it you have to go around to the right hand rear
wheel and pull the cable through.  It all bends and stays up near the
handbrake leaver.

--
  _--_|\             -|-    Gavin Walker