bouncing some more ideas around

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: bouncing some more ideas around
From: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 94 14:51:37 CDT
re: misfiring on 74 midget...those of you bored with this delete now

Apart from checking the adavnce mechanism on this distributor...there can't
be anything else wrong with the primary or sec. ignition. All
the parts are new. A friend suggested dialectric grease on all the contacts
just to make sure...I'll try it this weekend.

The thing that bothers me is that when I rev it in neutral it NEVER
misfires...it's smooth and responsive...i did get it to misfire while
playing with the carbs a few weeks back however (remember Frank?)...
SO, is it back to the carbs???????? An intermittent fuel feed problem?
However, when it misfires theres a real strong smell of gas...i.e. the fuel
is getting there, but not being ignited.,..which of course points back to the
ignition....

I met another Soler of the list yesterday (hey Mike...I owe you a few bucks)
and he took her for a spin and experienced the occasional misfiring...he
also commented that the accelleration on it was nowhere near as good
as on his Midget (same year), yet it revved just fine. This of course could
be due to crappy ignition. How can it rev so well, but under load it
occasionally misfires??

All comments gratefully recieved

Marcus