Re: bugeye striker plates, etc.

To: Hans Huber <Hans.Huber@eng.sun.com>
Subject: Re: bugeye striker plates, etc.
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 1994 15:11:44 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 6 Apr 1994, Hans Huber wrote:

> BTW, has anybody found a source for bugeye door striker plates?  you know,
> the little cones with the hole & the detent?  i got some new ones from
> Mini Mania, but the f* hole is about an eighth of an inch off, and they won't
> work.  also tried O'Connor (Moss distributor), same problem..

I encountered this, too, and at first thought I had welded the car
together wrong.  But the doors fit perfectly, so I realized that
was impossible.

Once my heart rate returned to normal, I took a hacksaw and hacksawed
through the offending new striker plate, from top to bottom, to the rear
of the cone.  I ground the edges of the cut at 45 degrees, moved the cone
and tacked it, tried it, sawed it again, etc. until finally the cone
entered the door hole dead center when the striker was in the middle of
its adjustment range.  Then I welded it up securely, added some weld where
the two pieces stepped, filed it all off so it looked original, painted it
with cadmium simulation paint, and voila.  Oh yes, I think I also had to
enlarge the hole in the cone a bit.  It would be equally effective to weld
up the wear on the old cone, file it down, and have it plated.

When you fix the strikers, your next move will be to buy new headlamp trim
rings from Moss and try to fit *them.* I wonder why otherwise reputable
companies sell parts that they must *know* they don't fit.  Does Moss
think, "hey, maybe *this* time it will fit???"

Ray "misfit" Gibbons

Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910