XK120 Moss Gearbox Update 4

To: "British Cars" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: XK120 Moss Gearbox Update 4
From: "Rob Reilly" <reilly@admail.fnal.gov>
Date: 6 Apr 1994 10:15:11 -0600
                       Subject:                               Time:10:13 AM
  OFFICE MEMO          XK120 Moss Gearbox Update 4            Date:4/6/94
I did some more work on my Mossy gears.

I determined that the hole for the stop pin rivet should be centered at 0.923"
from the center of the plunger hole. This is based on my rivet being 0.141"
stock diameter and being mashed down to 0.180" diameter.

Did I say something was harder than woodpecker lips? Its the second synchro
sleeve. I could just barely scratch centerlines with my scribe, and the center
punch just flattened its point when I tried to centerpunch for the hole.
Ordinary high-speed drill bits didn't make a dent. I set up the sleeve in a
Bridgeport mill, then used a letter O drill bit (0.316") to find the plunger
hole center and set it to zero, then move the table over 0.923".
I used a carbide centering drill to start the hole, then a carbide end mill to
finish the hole.

I installed the rivet by using a piece of steel ground into the shape of a
wedge that would fit between the rivet head and the neck of the sleeve, then
hammering out the shank to 0.180" diameter, then filing it down so the first
gear wheel would just clear over it. I tapered the front edge slightly so it
wouldn't stick. Feels right, and looks right.

I also looked at the front and rear shaft seals for the first time and
discovered they are made of LEATHER!! One is marked "ANGUS". How quaint. I
wonder, was there some connection with Skinners Union?

More later.
Rob