Re: Scuffed interior vinyl

To: jsbradl@erenj.com
Subject: Re: Scuffed interior vinyl
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 94 15:09:41 PDT
> inches, very neat, not ragged, more handywork by the bodyguy).  Can one
> stain vinyl scuffs?  what about a nice black adhesive goop for the cut?  I
> really want to avoid replacing the damaged bits since new vinyl looks so -
> well - new, if you know what I mean.  Any advice greatfully received.

You can buy kits at many auto parts stores to repair vinyl.  They
come with about half a dozen cups of different colored goop.  The
goop is mixed to match the color of the original vinyl then spread on
the damaged area.  Next a paper patch with, more or less, the correct
texture is placed over the goop and heated with a spoon-like heating
tool that comes in the kit.  The heating cures the goop to a vinyl-like
consistency

The tricky part is matching the old color.  You need to experiment a bit
because the cured color will be different from the uncured goop mix.
Some kits come with a curing tool you have to heat and some come with
a tool you plug in like a soldering iron.  Look for the electric
type.

As for the scuffing, wasn't there a discussion about re-spraying color
on vinyl just recently?  If you plan to do that then matching color
for the repair is a non problem.

Roland