distributor advance

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: distributor advance
From: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 94 07:35:27 CDT
In my childlike  manner I decided to pull apart the distributor that I pulled
out of the Midget on saturday. Got the breaker/points plate off, then hammered
the pin out and pulled the drive dog off and finally pulled the spindle and
cent. adavnce system out.

I spent around half an hour trying to figure how this damn thing advances
the timing. For one thing...I couldn't MOVE the wieghts at all...not good!
Liberall amounts of WD40 was applied, and with a lot of effort and a pair
of pliers, I could manage to make the cam move towards the post. The only
way I could get the weights to go back to the 'in' position was to use a
screwdriver to lever to cam back. There was no way that those tiny springs
were going to pull that cam back!!

I assume you are meant to be able to move the weights 'out' with your fingers,
and they should be pulled back in by the springs....surely the mech.
shouldn't be this stiff??? I guess I should have checked the other dizzy before
I plopped it in...that one had been sitting for three years! (My car sat for 10
years!!!).

Marcus