TR6 Z-S carbs

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Z-S carbs
From: James TenCate <jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 1994 22:24:11 -0500
My 1974 TR6 is close to being roadworthy.  However, I'm having a little
trouble tuning the carbs and setting the timing too.  I'm kinda asking
these questions out loud since I haven't had much time to think about
them yet and haven't done too much fooling with the car yet...

Facts:
(1)  Carbs have been entirely rebuilt, including new throttle shafts
     and seals.
(2)  Timing was troublesome so I replaced it with an Alison unit.  The
     timing is close enough to being right that the car starts and runs.
(3)  EGR not connected yet (haven't gotten my order from TRF yet).

Problem:
(1)  Car runs too rich (examined with Colortune).  I can't lean them
     out anymore since I'm at the limit of my needle adjustment.  Both
     carbs look nicely matched.

Questions:
Could it be I've screwed up setting the float levels?  I thought I triple
checked those levels but maybe some fooling around is necessary?  How about
the timing?  Since it's not exactly right yet, can timing affect the mixture?
Could it be that the needle and seat aren't closing (the car did set for
a year and maybe some bad gas gummed things up in there)?  Seems odd that
BOTH carbs would be similarly affected though.

Suggestions?   Thanks much!     jim