Gas tank sealing

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Gas tank sealing
From: Andrews Peter F <andrewpf%geds@mhsgate.salem.ge.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 94 08:27:53 EST
One of this weekend tasks was to prepare the Bugeye gas tank for
reinstallation.  I was equipped with all the proper chemicals, degreaser,
tank etch and sealer, so off I went.   The tank had some rust in it so I
rattled a chain in it for awhile and washed it out well with the
degreaser.  I then followed the instructions on the Moss (Hirsh) tank
etch.  So far so good.  The sealer can though says to remove anything
which can be clogged by the sealer.  Hmmm.  The Sprite tank has a very
fine mesh filter on the tank outlet.  You can see it through the sender
hole but beats me how to get it off (and getting it back on looks
impossible).   I can't imagine that filter not getting clogged by the
sealer so I'm tempted to just skip the sealing process.  The tank doesn't
leak but I wanted to protect against the rust...

Opinions??

Pete Andrews                    1959 AH Sprite Mk1  AN5L/18575
andrews_pf@salem.ge.com         1961 AH Sprite MK1  AN5L/44591