MGA starter problems solved

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, legerlotz@smaug.enet.dec.com
Subject: MGA starter problems solved
From: "Paul Tonizzo, Finance& Ops. IM&T, DTN 631-7107" <tonizzo@trooa.enet.dec.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 94 13:51:02 EDT
I entered a note back about a week ago describing problems I had with my MGA
starter.  The starter would bench test fine, but when put on the engine,
could barely turn over the engine then eventually stopped altogether.  I also
noticed a small puff of smoke coming from the starter.  I had been using
jumper cables to test the starter.
Alan Legerlotz suggested that the jumper cables had a small point of contact
when attached to the starter/battery.  The amperage required was probably too
high to get transferred - he was right.  I took the time to put the battery in
the car and hook it properly - low and behold the starter works fine and the
oil pressure built up real nice!  Thanks to Al for the tip.

Paul