are YOU bored with this yet?...more misfiring

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: are YOU bored with this yet?...more misfiring
From: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 94 13:05:05 CDT
 Well boys and girls...

Afetr the collapse of my distributor on Friday in the lot at work, I thought
this would be solved once and for all. I replaced the old dizzy with one
I robbed of my Spitfire...now this is odd, becasuse I thought all the 1500
motors had 45D type dizzies...well this one was a 25D...doesn't matter
though because apparently they both fit. Anyway, trundled to
work on Saturday morning on the bus, the 'new' distributor  in my sweaty
palms.

I set the gap, installed it with new bosch cap and wires. So lets backtrack
a minute. I now have new wires/rotor/plugs/cap/coil. She started...but
 ran a little rough..set the timing..fine. I tries the 'keep advancing
the timing until pinging occurs' method, but I couldn't hear any pinging...
just a drop in power. Its now set around 15 deg BTDC. I drove home....
and what do I get...a fricking misfire...GGGGRRRRRRRRR.

I checked the wiring diagram to see if the coil is in prioperlyy and it
seems I have extra wires going to the coil. The diagram (for 1974,
GAN5UE143058G)
shows a white lead for the tach (note...my tach still jumps around like crazy
sometimes) to the pos. side, and a black and white lead from dizzy to negative
coil side. There are in fact TWO black and white leads going to the -ve
side...both disapear into the harness..and one reappears and goes the dizzy.
Where does the other one go? Seems like it may be the alternator...I didn't
check. There another black and white lead connected to the pos. side which
again disappears into the harness.

                        Distributor
                                \

                                  \
                                black and white
                                        lead
                                    \

                        _ _ _ _ _    -ve                +ve
                        another b/w   |------------------|  _ _ _ _  b/w lead
                        from harness  |                  |           and white
                                                                      lead to
                                                                     harness.

My manual shows only the dizzy b/w lead and the white tach lead????? I can
understand the other b/w lead to the +ve side which 'supplies' the current
to make the circuit. Why the other b/w lead on the -ve side...won't
that 'sap' current. Note: I still haven't measured the voltage across
the coil cos' my voltmeter has decided to go dead.

Note: I also removed and thoroughly cleaned the ground strap etc.

Where does the tach get its ground from? Somewhere behind the fascia?
It's certainly not misfiring as badly as it was before...but I don't
want it to misfire at all!!!!!

Marcus