Healey frame and rear main seal

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Healey frame and rear main seal
From: pschauss@aol.com
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 94 09:48:28 EDT
I am looking at a BJ7 (1963) which has two possible problems:

1.  When I arrived to look at the car, the owner had the left rear wheel off
with
the car jacked up, supported at rear shackle ( the point where the rear leaf
springs
are attached to the car.)  In this position, neither door would close.  When
we
replaced the wheel and removed the jack, we were able to close the doors
which now
seemed to fit reasonably well.  Is this a symptom of a weak frame?  Looking
under the
car, the frame looked solid.  Also, the floor pans, while showing some
surface rust,
were solid when I banged on them with my fist.

2.  The owner said that the engine had a major oil leak (serious enough that
it
would not run) from the joint between the engine and transmission.  I am
assuming
this is the rear main seal, but neither the VB nor the Moss big Healey
catalogues
list a part number for the rear seal.  Does the 3000 engine have a rear main
seal?
If not, what keeps the oil from leaking out past rear main bearing?  In any
event,
how far down would I have to take the engine in order to repair this problem?

3.  Assuming that I do have to remove the engine, how difficult is it to get
the
engine out through that narrow opening which is left after the bonnet is
removed?
Does one normally pull engine and transmission together as with the MGB?

Thanks
Peter Schauss                                           email:
pschauss@aol.com
1980 MGB