Re: TR6 engine confusion. Help! :-)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 engine confusion. Help! :-)
From: jesup@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Randell Jesup)
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 94 19:07:21 -0500
>present to learn, so I popped the hood and decided to see if the vacuum advance
>was functional (thank you SOL messagers!) by yanking it off the distributor
>and checking for any RPM change.  Well, I did so, and nothing happened. So
>I traced it back, and, gee...IT'S NOT CONNECTED! In fact, it's just hanging
>in air.
> So I grab my TRF catalog (oh so handy) and look up a picture
>of my vacuum system- 1970 TR6 (I just found out it's a 1970, not a 71. Oops.)

> - Although there appear to be two flared vacuum connections on the
>distributor,
>  one on either side, in the diagram, I only see one, on the aft side.

        All the '70's I know should have both advance and retard.  I have a
'70 with both (CC53029, abut 5000 before yours).  Note that one of the
connections is on the _bottom_ of the carb.

> - I can't find the little post on the carb that the vacuum line is supposed
> to    go onto.

> - In fact, the only place that such a post could fit is a small gunked up hole
>  on the part of the carb that attaches to the block...on the rear carb.  The
>  TRF diagram shows such a post on the FRONT carb.

        There should be 2 little tubes coming out of the front carb - one on
top, and one on the bottom, both on the engine side of the carb.

        I suspect one of two things: a) entire engine replaced (what's the
engine #?) b) distributer (and maybe carbs) replaced (less likely).

        The pieces of information need to figure this out are the engine
number and the carb numbers (the carbs usually have a little tag with the
carb number attached to one of the screws).

>Would essentially not having a vacuum system contribute to the woes that I
>mentioned above?  Did an unknown PO screw me over? And, lastly, am I going to
>have to yank the carbs and switch them in order to get this to work?

        The carbs don't switch very well....  Actually, after figuring out
what engine and carbs you have, I'd advise setting the timing before looking
for deeper problems.  The lack of retard shouldn't matter too much, and
I wouldn't expect it to cause pinging, or at least I wouldn't on my
car (my retard only does anything at idle, basically).  But remember I have
a vacuum advance, so things may be different.

        Randell Jesup ('70 TR6)