Re: TR6 engine confusion. Help! :-)

To: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 engine confusion. Help! :-)
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 1994 10:29:45 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 31 Mar 1994, Randy Wilson wrote:
(regarding Jacob Zimmerman's problems with his TR6 Amanda)

> I can not tell you which years had both an advance and a retard can, and which
> years had just the retard. Your description is right for a retard only system.

> The lack of advance/retard would not cause your symptoms, but a disconnected
> vacuum line would. What you described is the classic symptoms of running
> lean, a vacuum leak.

Uh... Amanda is pinging, dieseling when shut off, and has a fast idle,
among other things.  If she is supposed to have a vacuum retard, and it is
disconnected, my (perhaps naive) reasoning is that timing would be too
advanced under high vacuum conditions (e.g. at idle, or on overrun).  And
I would think that *would* cause some or all of the symptoms.  Have I
reasoned incorrectly, and if so, how?

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910