MGA v. Herald 1200 distributor swap

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGA v. Herald 1200 distributor swap
From: amace%sedofis@VM1.NYSED.GOV
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 93 16:15:13 EST
=========================     DISTRIBUTOR              =======================

  I  posted  this  back  in  November, but got no response at the
  time. Although I hate reruns as much as anyone else, I'm  still
  curious  to  know  if  anyone  has  any thoughts concerning the
  following:

  Last fall, a friend of mine came to me with his 1960 MGA  1600.
  The  engine  is freshly rebuilt to pretty much stock specs, but
  it was running very poorly. To  make  a  long  story  short,  I
  discovered  the  distributor  was  on  its last legs aside from
  being loose; indeed, it packed up solid (YES,  SEIZED!)  in  my
  driveway.

  Needing  to  get him going (car had no top, the other reason he
  had come over to begin with, and  it  was  about  to  storm)  I
  grabbed the nearest spare distributor I had. It's from an early
  Triumph Herald 1200. It worked and, to  my  surprise,  the  car
  felt   very  strong,  with  no  obvious  flat  spots  or  other
  hesitation -- this with 20-year-old+ points and by-ear timing.

  The question: I know that, compared to the MGA distributor, the
  Herald  dist. has less initial advance, starting at higher RPM,
  and less total advance, occurring at lower total RPM.  Is  this
  likely to have a deleterious effect on the engine short term or
  long term? Should I try to switch over  the  weights,  springs,
  etc. from the old MGA dist. if I can get it apart?

  I  can  supply  exact  advance  specs if it would help anyone's
  educated guesses. What do you think? Should I leave well enough
  alone? (Heck, the guy DID pay me for the distributor!)

  Andy Mace
  <amace%sedofis@vm1.nysed.gov>
  *Carburetor is a French word meaning 'leave it alone'.* -- Dick
  O'Kane