leak down tests?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: leak down tests?
From: jjoy@akamai.sps.mot.com (Jennifer Joy)
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 93 17:04:45 CST

Could someone please email an explanation "for dummies" on what
a leak down test does exactly, and what a test result of "50%"
means?  I know it is bad, but how bad?

Is there any (significant) correlation between cylinder compression
numbers and this number?   It seemed in my case than the compression
values weren't too bad, but the leak down test was.   I'm just not
sure what the mechanic was telling me besides it's "wore out".  One
was too technical, the other wasn't technical enough!

thanks,
 jennifer

(I know this was just talked about, but I emailed one of the participants
this question and didn't get an answer so I don't know who to ask)

--
       Jennifer Joy  sys/net admin   Motorola/RISC HW  Austin,TX
       jjoy@risc.sps.mot.com   512.891.8561   pgr:928.7447 #9561