MGCC/RMC 42nd Annual Rallye Glenwood Springs

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGCC/RMC 42nd Annual Rallye Glenwood Springs
From: Jay Nemeth-Johannes <jayj@hpislj.lvld.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 93 10:49:06 MST
This is sort of an early announcement of an event which is quite
special, and one of the best kept secrets in the lbc community.

The MGCC/ Rocky Mountain Centre will be holding the 42nd Annual Rallye
Glenwood Springs on June 11-12, 1994.

This event has been run every year since 1953, making it the oldest
continuously run rallye in America, and I believe the oldest British
Car event as well.  In recent years, the event draws around 150-200
entries for the weekend, mostly lbcs.

On Saturday, we drive from Denver to Glenwood Springs, Colorado.   The
contestants choose either a TSD style rallye or a question/answer
style tour which takes about 6 hours to run.  The scenery on this
event is unsurpassed on any rallye I have ever run.  My wife and I were
rallymasters for the 1992 and 1993 events. The events each crossed
half a dozen mountain passes, several above treeline. We try to pick
those "sports car" roads where you feel good just being out there. For
example, the 1993 event went through Rocky Mountain National park,
over Trail Ridge Road.  In 1992 we crossed Independence Pass into
Aspen, where cars hugged the cliffs 1000 feet above the valley floor.
The 1992 event was 100% paved. The 1993 event had about 15 miles of
first class unpaved in a 250 mile course.  I don't know what the 1994
event will have for dirt, but will let you know as soon as the
rallymaster lets us know.  The tour is ALWAYS 100% paved.

On Saturday evening, there is a Banquet in Glenwood Springs, generally
an informal trip to the hot springs, and then on Sunday we hold a car
show with "people's choice" judging in a dozen catagories and an
autocross which invariably suits lbcs better than Mustangs (read tight
and twisty.) We wrap up with awards at noon and then tour back in
small groups.

Costs are very reasonable. The entry fee runs around $20. Banquet
tickets are $13-$15 and our deal with the hotel was $45/room last
year. We always sell out the hotel, so plan this early.

Last year, we had entries from 15 states, Canada and England. Although
Colorado is 1000 miles from everywhere, we really try to make the
event worth the drive.  Hopefully you will consider including this
event in your vacation plans this year.

Flyers and particulars aren't finalized yet. However, I will post a
flyer when it becomes available.  If you would like to be placed on
the mailing list or just get some more info, feel free to drop me a
note.

  Cheers,
    Jay