Re: British Cars Digest #1043 Sat Dec 25 01:15:01 MST 1993

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #1043 Sat Dec 25 01:15:01 MST 1993
From: Jay Nemeth-Johannes <jayj@hpislj.lvld.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 93 10:01:39 MST
> The shop notes put out by CAT, the California Tiger Club, has a lot of parts
> substitution info. I also recall that the Tigers/Alpines East club shop notes
> have a pretty detailed article on putting a German Ford Capri drivetrain in an
> Alpine. I have heard good things about this engine, anybody else have a more
> informed opinion? Since Capri rims supposedly fit the Tiger there may be some
> other advantages to this swap as well.

I got into this a few years ago. As everyone else has mentioned, the
V8 swap is hopeless. The 2.6/2.8 Litre Ford V6 is a pretty clean swap.
You can get torque and HP out of these engines which exceeds the stock
260. The Mazda RX7 swap is a piece of cake. Lots of spare space, and
with the later RX7 powerplants, lots of power. It is so light you need
to back off on front spring rates, and the handling really starts
coming together.  In the early 80s, I helped a friend put a Dodge Colt
(Mitsubushi) engine/tranny into an Alpine.  That one was also clean.
He was happy, but I felt he probably should have just rebuilt the
Sunbeam engine instead.

Capri rims fit Alpines. Don't Tigers have 5 bolt patterns?

   Cheers,
     Jay