Re: CadDrawings

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: CadDrawings
From: yeebot@aol.com
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 93 04:17:54 EST
MY GOD, what a brilliant idea!

I mean, I've seen CAD/CAM machines hooked up to that modeller machine that
manufactures one-offs from a pool of liquid vinyl, and know about laser
milling machines but it never occured to me that you_could_ have a databank
of car specs that would allow you to just crank new items out. Geez, where do
I order one?! Actually, I know getting the costs down to a reasonable level
will probably take some time (within my lifetime, pleez) as these machine
cost $$$$$$$$; and even an hour, I could not afford. But what an idea!

This LBC databank reminds me of something I was thinking about while
travelling across Europe last summer: I suppose that if ever there comes a
time when they have to rebuild, replace, or restore a tourist attraction,
like say, Michelangelo's David, they would have NO problems, considering how
well-recorded it is. Imagine hundreds of visitors a day (Thousands in the
summer) each taking several photos, videos, etc. of this ONE object! Nothing
is as well recorded as a tourist attraction. They could probably_mill_it out
in several hours, WITH chisel marks! Scary world, aint it.

One small question in closing: What do you suppose gas and oil will cost by
the time we can go to our corner machine shop for a freshly milled boot
hinge?

Happy Holidays!
Mike Yee

P.S. Why does Charles Runyan sell all those fancy hair brushes anyway? Who
buys them?