Re: Locking Convertibles

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Locking Convertibles
From: sfisher@Megatest.COM (Scott Fisher)
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 93 13:58:12 PST
> >So, SOLs, do you lock your convertibles?  What do you think is
> >the best policy?

I occasionally take co-workers out in The Green Car, especially for
summertime lunches etc.  (Best time was when I was researching the
location for our company summer picnic!)  Often, as we'd park the
M.G., my companion would close the door and ask, "How do you lock it?"

I usually just look over the open interior and say, "WHY do you lock it?"

Of course, I keep nothing in the car (except the car itself) worth
taking -- there's a hole (and an oil pressure gauge) where the radio
would go, and I make a point never to leave anything in the car when
I walk away from it.

This of course all depends on the unstated assumption that the top is
almost never raised.  That assumption is valid for The Green Car.  On
the rare occasions that I had to raise the hood, I don't believe I
ever locked the car anyway, for the reasons that Berry mentioned --
I would rather the lowlife opened the door, decided there was
nothing in it to steal, and then closed it back up again than that they
cut the top to make the same determination.

--Scott