Triumph/SAAB engines

To: HAC2GM::ARPA::"british-cars@autox.team.net"@hac2arpa.hac.com
Subject: Triumph/SAAB engines
From: IOSSVR::IOSSVR::MRGATE::"CATM01::A1::AMCLE"@HAC2GM.hac.com
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 93 14:34:26 PST
From:   NAME: Alex McLellan
        FUNC: MDA/CAATS
        TEL: (604) 231-3054                   <AMCLE@A1@CATM01>
To:     "british-cars@autox.team.net"@INTERNET

This is a trial posting from a VMS Allin1 e-mailer. My return address is
AJM@MDA.CA.

On the subject of Triumph/SAAB engines:

I had a '72 SAAB 99 when I lived in Britain. Engine in early models
was 1799cc. Later increased to 1854cc (mine) then 1998cc(?) (in later
99s, early 900s). Engine designed by Ricardo of England for Triumph.
Basically half a US-designed V8. My SAAB engine was placed fore-and
-aft, with the timing chain (ie 'front' of engine) close to driver,
clutch at front of car. Engine was tilted to the right (when looking
at it from driver's seat). I.e., a slant 4. Made front of car very low
down & aerodynamic, but was v. difficult to get at starter motor.

Had cross-flow head - carburettor on 'top' of engine, exhaust manifold
'underneath'. Aluminium head - don't talk to ME about getting an
aluminium head off over corroded studs (in fact you can't, the studs
have to come off before the head can be removed). Replacement head
(new, factory unit from SAAB dealer) had "STANPART" cast in the block!

Unofficial histort of SAAB says Swedes v. unhappy with poor
manufacturing standards (no pun intended) at Triumph engine factory.
Decided to modify engine & build it in Sweden. Two litre version used
in SAAB turbo (1st production Turbo passenger car, I believe).

As far as I know, this was same engine as used in Triumph Dolomite.
I've driven a Dolomite. It is quite sporty (like SAAB) but not v.
reliable & prone to rust (unlike SAAB).

I find this list fascinating reading. I'm amazed so many of you put so much
effort into your LBCs. Now, if you had a 1954 Series II Minor (as I used to
have) I could understand it :-).

Alex