Re: SOLers, LBCs, and commercial participation

To: EUBANK@vaxb.acs.unt.edu, BRITISH-CARS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Re: SOLers, LBCs, and commercial participation
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 93 10:39:22 -0800
In message <01H6P1JE1Q3M001MPH@vaxb.acs.unt.edu>  writes:

Some comments:

> We, the Scions of Lucas (SOLers) encourage those involved in
> commercial enterprises to take part in the ongoing, daily discussions
> of our beloved Little British Cars (LBCs). However, a few basic
> ground rules apply:
>
> 1. No advertisement of any kind whatsoever is to be placed on the
> discussion list. This injunction includes electronic flyers,
> daily specials, and catalogs, price lists, and so forth. (At
> present, there is discussion of setting up a special FTP site for
> such billings, and if such comes about, we will notify you
> immediately.)

OK, but I think we need to treat something like this more as a guideline.  If
someone asks where he/she can purchase a widget, I think a company that caries
the wiget should be able to reply saying that they carry it (part# YXZ).  Or if
someone has an expensive purchase coming up & asks when the Famous Winter Sale
is going to start, a company should be able to reply 1 Jan, or some such.  What
good is having a major information source on board if you cann't aske them any
questions pertaining to their business.

> 2. No orders for parts are to be taken over the discussion list.
> This injunction applies, of course, to both regular SOLers and
> commercial SOLers.

Well not over the mail list but certinally as direct mail.

> 3. No mention of the name of the commerical enterprise is to be
> made over the discussion list unless specifically requested by
> someone else.

Not hardly!  This is like me not being able to sign my name to my own posting. I
strongly disagree with this  item.

> 4. No surveys whose purpose includes commerical gain are to be
> taken over the discussion list.

I strongly disagee with this one as well.  If a company sends a survey out to
the list asking for direct replys concerning parts quality, availability, their
E-Z (but expensive) shipping polocy, what parts to have reproduced or any
related subject, it can only help all of us who have the cars.  Sorry, but I see
being able to provide input to the company as a major plus for having them here.
No one forces you to read or reply to a survey.

> In addition, SOLers are a free-wheeling group with a very good
> sense of humor. We believe strongly in the freedom of expression.
> >From time to time, this leads to comments about the quality or
> lack thereof of LBC components from particular suppliers. If
> hearing such is going to lead to "flame wars" (or worse), we
> would just as soon that supplier in question do not take part in
> the discussion list.

"Flame wars" in general have always been discuraged from this list (unlike the
motorcycle group whose moto is "Live to flame & flame to live"). But companys
can not afford to get into flame wars in front of their customers.  They can not
possibly win a flame war because it would cost them customers.

> What do you think?
> Shiverin' in Denton ... at least the B's heater works well!
> Lynnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneubank

I think that people who work at companys that provide parts and services for
LBCs are as rational as any of us and are way more concerned about not
alienating anyone on this list then anyone else is.  Please give them credit for
having intellagence and being rational.  On a network famed for enlightened
anarchy, where most rules are social guidelines and people are expected to go
with the social norm of what ever group they are communicating with, I don't
think we need stinking rules.  Roger's guidelines are probably even overkill,
but I support them and think we should adapt them as the new guidelines for
normal social behaviour for this group.

Sorry, but I can not think any company would get into this group and alienate an
influential group of customers.  TRF has bent over backwards not to alienate
anyone and I think they have been on this list for over a year now.  I started
this thread, because I wanted to see them be participants and not lurkers. I
would like to get some of the famous Charles adventures first hand and personal.
I think they have a lot to offer us and we have a lot to offer them if they wish
our opinion on anything.  i have been asking Moss to get on the list for at
least 6 months.  They just have not thought it important to them.

Take care,

TeriAnn

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561