Commercial concernc on net

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Commercial concernc on net
From: drabik@solaris.gatech.edu (Timothy J. Drabik)
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 93 11:04:22 EST
Dear fellow SOLs,

My vote is NO to ANY advertising, even of the hidden type
that recommends a particular fix for a problem that can
just incidentally be purchased from the recommender.

We are bombarded with thousands and thousands of ads every day.
The unobservant might not realize this.  There was even a proposal
recently to put brief announcements between the rings of phone calls!

Anyone can post their opinions or use their expertise to provide advice
on this net.  A number of users who have car-related businesses
already do so.  We should not punish such people for having as their
livelihood something we all enjoy.  Users belonging to TRF or any other
organization should follow similar guidelines.

I try to isolate myself from consumerism and advertising as much as
possible.  If I cannot enjoy this list as a haven from such things
any longer, it will cease to be enjoyable to me, and I will no longer
have a reason to read or participate.

If we must allow advertising, I propose a second list, to which those who
wish to can subscribe.  It's pretty much transparent to the user.  I think
the commercial users should manage such a list.

                Exercising my freedom of speech,
                Tim Drabik