engine back in!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: engine back in!
From: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 93 09:44:24 CST
Spent a ve. cold weekend in the light drizzle/snow putting the motor back in.
It took around 3 hours of rattling, jacking, cursing and trapped fingers to
get it back in! I started conecting it back up and came across a few
problemos.

1) The exhaust/carb manifold: I only have 2 fat washers...shouldn't
there be five to hold the carb. and exhaust manifolds? Also what is the
sequence for gaskets...I have the big long gasket, but the head gasket set
include two oval gaskets which are sized so they only fit between the
carb. manifold and head...do the oval gaskets go ON TOP of the other gasket?
or are they spare??

2) The front end is up on stands, so I thought I would spin the wheels....
uh oh...they didn't spin freely at all. I took the wheels of and the rotors have
a thin layer of rust residue...not eaten away...but a dusty layer of aorange.
When I had the buyers checkl done, they said the brakes were good, so I assume
the rotors have rusted while its been sitting waiting for the engine.
Should I remove and clean...or will it get rubbed of after a few miles of
driving??

Marcus

P.S. This is for the '74 1275 Midget

From  rwg1@cornell.edu Tue Sep 11 11:59:54 2001