Piston decarbonisation

To: b-c@tin.monsanto.com
Subject: Piston decarbonisation
From: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 93 09:29:13 -0600
While the head is off the GT6, I figured it would be a good time to get
the carbon deposits off the pistons (the shop is cleaning the head itself).
What is the best method of getting the carbon off the tops of the pistons?
There isn't much. I wiped them with a paper towel and now there are some
clean spots, so it doesn't appear to be on that tightly.

How tough are the pistons? Can I scrape them with a plastic scraper?

How manic should I be about cleanliness in the cylinders? I assume the I
should get rid of all traces of carbon, etc., before putting it back
together.

What is the recommended treatment to put on the head gasket before reassembly?

Thanks,

Larry