TRF Participation

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TRF Participation
From: Jay Nemeth-Johannes <jayj@hpislj.lvld.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 93 10:29:51 MST
Hi all,

  Since this is my first post to the list, I guess an introduction is
in order.  I am just starting a restoration of a 58 MG Magnette which
I found through a posting to this list a few months back.  The car is
now in Colorado the work has started.

> From: sfisher@Megatest.COM (Scott Fisher)
> Subject: Re: Commercial Participation In This List

> Here are some of the benefits to an electronic account from
> TRF's standpoint (though many of these benefits accrue to the
> Britcars list members as well):

Good list, but you missed one of the biggies.

Customer awareness: Most people with a B  or TR have a dozen places
anxious to take their money and send them parts.  A presence on this
list gives that group a predisposition to work with TRF, thus yielding
a direct increase in business, even if we work over the phone or by
mail. "Net only" advertising and special deals gives TRF a way to
measure that market segment.  However, things like direct net ordering
can accomplish the same thing without advertising.

Of course, someone like me, who is working out of the mainstream lbc
area has different problems.  Most companies don't want my money as
there isn't sufficient volume to justify learning what works and what
won't. Currently, I am dealing with Moss for those parts common to an
MGA, and with NTG Services in England for Magnette specific stuff.  I
will be spending a couple thousand dollars in the next two years. I am
using Moss because I will make mistakes on what will work and their
return policy allows a little risk (as long as I don't abuse it).  I
don't know too much about TRF, except that their ads look like they
will only talk to people with A's, B's, and Spridgets. If that isn't
the case, it will likely come out in the next few months and I'll
start shifting my Moss business.

Further, many (most?) members of this list are also members of one or
more clubs. I'm a mamber of MGCC Rocky Mountain Centre. MGCC/RMC is
heavily into Moss because we have a club member working there.
Victoria British gets some of the overflow, and Abingdon Spares gets a
lot of the T Series business. TRF participation here is likely to feed
back into this 75 member club and potentially influence buying
decisions.

Overall, I agree with everyne else.  This is a win-win as long as any
direct advertising is "tastefully restrained".

  Jay