Re: British Cars Digest #1028 Wed Dec 15 00:08:26 MST 1993

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #1028 Wed Dec 15 00:08:26 MST 1993
From: Dick Nyquist <dickn@hpspdbc.vid.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 93 16:01:42 PST

| ------------------------------
Kevin asks:
| Subject: MIG welders...

| I found a used MIG welder not long ago, I didn't have time to check it out
| very well, but it had four heat (amperage?) settings, and a variable wire
| feed speed. (not stepped speed) I forgot the brand. I don't know much about
| them, but I need to learn! It seems like the best welder for the type of
| stuff I need. It is a 110V unit, but I'm not sure of the amperage,

This sounds a little like a small MIG I bought several years ago. I had had
it for quite a while and used it a few time without much luck. I decided to
give it one more chance. I switched to a 50% argon 50% CO2 mix, added a meter
that displays flow rate rather then psi, and then a friend who knew what he
was doing spent a couple hours screwing around with the settings and figuring
things out.

It turned out that the settings that worked well were not what you might guess.
The power had to be turned to max and the feed rate turned to min. (I guess
the reason they have much faster feed rates available may be for welding
aluminum.) Now it works great! I can get much better results then I can from my
big AC-DC arc up to about .100 inches. I have tried some test welds with 1/8
wall
roll cage tubing and they seemed good too, but I think that is pushing the
limit.

I don't know if the one you are looking at is the same or not, but I am very
happy with mine and I paid about twice the $140 you are talking about.

I think the brand name of mine is something like "UNO". Like many of these
small
migs it is made in Italy.

| Questions:
|       How do I test this thing to make sure it is useable?

Can you get the seller to give you a demonstration?

I hope it works out for you
Dick