Re: Oil Coolers/Books

To: triumph@io.org, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil Coolers/Books
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 93 15:00:08 -0800

> Teriann - tell someone that for Xmas what YOU want is the TR2-6
> book THE ORIGINAL TR, by the archivist at the Heritage. There are
> masses of picutures of the fire wall etc.

Chris, I recently got the book to my MAJOR disappointment.  There were a few
very nice pictures of unoriginal TR2 & 3s, only one of which was post TS60000.
The caption pointed out 3 or 4 things that were unorignal (two of which I was
very interested in), and I noticed 3 additional things the author missed :*(

Granted, the pictures showing the black resevoir would have answered my question
of a couple of weeks ago, but thats about it.  The text spends about a page
describing a TR frame.  It seems to me that if you are restoring a TR you
probably have the frame.  Besides the manual has a drawing with dimensions (to
fix bent frames).  The book very lightly goes over the instrument panel then at
the end says that US spec instruments can be different!  I'm still reading it,
but so far the only thing new thats relavent to my project is that red TR3s
built in 1960 had signal red, spa white, or black as optional colours for the
factory hard top and the hood (soft top) and tonnou were either black or white.
When I got my car it came with old white side curtins and no tops.

Nether the pictures nor text give locations or routing of things (I may be
setting myself up for a future photobook for TR3 restorers).

The book has 2/3rds of a page describing the basic engine.  I personaly have
identified twice as many heads as the author did.  He spent a couple of columns
going over the cooling system.  i could get a better description looking at a
Moss catalogue or the TR parts book (An excellent source if you are restoring an
early long door TR2 but misleading if you are restoring a later car).  The
interesting tidbit that I got out of that one was that  the metal 2 inch dia.
water pipe runing vertical near the front of the engine was originally painted
black.  I hadn't seen any that were painted.

The book seemed to go into general changes of the big things that occured over
time in the home market, but never really got into the details.  I think the
best source right now is the TRA concourse judging book.  I need to break down &
purchase one unstead of reading the installments from the newsletter.

I would have found this to be a good reference book when I was new to my TR3,
but in almost all aspects, I am long past it.

Thanks for looking at the grnd wire for me.  I need to check to see if my car
has a hydrolic clamping screw within reach.  This would be more likely if it
were on the side with the wiper motor & master hydrolic cylinders.

sigh,

TeriAnn

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561