RE: MIG Welders (Kevin Burtch)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: MIG Welders (Kevin Burtch)
From: okane@cscns.com (Olin Kane)
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 93 14:36:15 MST

>I found a used MIG welder not long ago, . . .

>Questions:
>        How do I test this thing to make sure it is useable?
>        Is it worth $140? (yes one-forty, seems cheep to me)
>        Any suggestions on what to watch out for?
>        Any good books/videos to learn MIG welding? (never done MIG)
>        How much amperage would I need to weld 1/8" steel? (or 11 guage?)

Without the gas bottle, it wont be possible to check it out completely but
you can check out 95% of it. The mechanical stuff (ie moving parts) is the
stuff that breaks. Try it out even without the gas. It will create a
spattered bead that is unusable but you'll find out if the electrics and the
wire feed mechanism work OK. The gas part of it is very simple and probably
OK. There is just an electrically operated valve that lets the gas flow while
the trigger is depressed. If it works it's sure worth $140. I have a 130 amp
unit that has four heat settings. I weld 1/8" steel on setting 3. Not sure
how many amps that is but probably around 100.

Olin Kane