Re: Status of commercial groups on SOL mail list

To: twakeman@apple.com
Subject: Re: Status of commercial groups on SOL mail list
From: mburdick@unmc.edu (Mike Burdick)
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 93 11:14:20 CST
TeriAnn,

I think you raise a number of good points:

   > traditionally, it has been against "internet rules" to have companys offer
   > things for sale or to even talk about things they offer for sale.

In the USENET newsgroups this is changing as there are a number of
groups devoted to announcing new commercial products.  I think they are
usually moderated, but the copy is supplied by the company making the
announcement.  So the precedent is there...

   > a public notesfile, I suggest that as such we can make up our own rules.
   > With that in mind... The Roadster Factory has been a model internet
citizen and
   > has not commented on things they have for sale and have been esentually
list
   > lurkers.  I chatted with someone from TRF lately and he indicated that
they

I think this is a shame.  I would much rather have their active participation
in discussions.  If it comes at the expense of a few messages that would
fall in the "advertisement" category, I can live with that.

That said, things could get a little cluttered if businesses start posting
"daily specials" or somesuch.  We'd start to look like prodigy!  New
product announcements and announcements of major sales seem reasonable,
but announcements that some-small-bit-is-on-sale-today-only-call-now should
be discouraged.

Count me as "for it".

Thanks for bringing it up,
Mike