TR7 convertible leaks

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR7 convertible leaks
From: Jody Levine <jody.p.levine@hydro.on.ca>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1993 12:07:20 -0500
> Date: Fri, 10 Dec 93 16:20:00 +0000
> From: GORIN_JOE/HP5300_A0@opnmail2.corp.hp.com
> Subject: Re: convertible top leaks
>
> Another problem I had with the Robbins top was that it didn't seal well
> to the windows.  I made some very effective gasketing at the window/top
> junction with cut up pieces of bicycle inner tube affixed with RTV.

How does the robbins top deal with the top edge of the quarter windows? The
top that came with the car (not original) had the flaps on which the roll
up window rests just get rounded off near the front. At speed water would
run up the rain gutter on the frame of the windshield and drip onto my leg
from the end of the flap. People here recommended that I buy an Amco top,
which is somewhat better. The flaps on which the roll-up windows rest come
to a point in the front, and this point is supposed to go between the
windshield frame and the door, and the water is supposed to drain there
instead of on your leg. The problem is that the top doesn't fit perfectly
and on one side the flap doesn't make it all the way to the channel, but even
if you forget to force it there when you close the door, it drips on the carpet
instead. At least you can put a towel there.

I used to have leaks from the tops of the windows which made a horrible mess.
There were two problems. One one side, particularly, the door is misadjusted
such that it doesn't close fully and there's a gap between the top of the
window and the flap. I have yet to try to deal with this. The other fix is
to ensure that you roll the windows up *all the way*. This looks funny,
especially with the top down or the door open, since the glass can actually
extend past the edge of the quarter windows, pushing on that rubber thingy.
However, this gets the glass almost behind the drip rail on the top, and
is quite effective at keeping water out of the car.

> Of all the I-hate-my-car episodes I've overcome, the leaking in the
> rain problem was the one I hated most.  I would recommend after fixing
> the problem you know about, that you give it a lot of hose testing.

You'd think that the English would design a convertible top that keeps water
out...

  Jody Levine                    ---+--
  jlevine@rd.hydro.on.ca            |     |~|
  Toronto, Canada                   |     |~\    7   The Mobile Doorstop