EGR valve replaceability

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: EGR valve replaceability
From: gall@beta.uleth.ca (Greg Gall)
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 93 11:35:07 MST
I was a little alarmed to notice a mention of purchasing an EGR valve
for $250 (new I guess).

I don't believe that the British actually make their own EGR valves. In
fact, all TR7s carry GM EGR valves, as does probably any other B(P)L car
of the same era. Have you all checked your cars to see if it isn't the
variety of EGR valve found on any GM product and sold for $5 used?

I first noticed that my TR7 had a GM EGR when I pulled it off one day
and examined its manufacturing stamp. Later upon rebuilding the engine,
I misplaced the EGR and by the time I located it, I had three (2 others
were floating around - 1 from my Buick, 1 from my Chev). Upon close
examination, I learned that the one fitted to my TR7 (now identified
with orange overspray) was identical in every aspect to one of the
domestically fitted valves. The other turned out to be functionally
identical (mount the same) with only a minor design change.

Moral:
Before shelling out big bucks for that 'special' British part, makes
darn sure it ain't the same thing as found on your father's Oldsmobile.

Good Luck!

Greg.
--
Internet: gall@ultrix.uleth.ca

"You miss too much these days if you stop to think"
By a famous Irish poet and philosopher, Bono of the band U2, circa '91.

'76 Triumph TR7 V8 (Buick 350) Fixedhead Coupe.         _   /|  A
'79 Triumph TR7 Auto Drophead Coupe.                    \`o_O'  C
'78 Mazda RX7.                                            ( )   K
'73 FIAT 128 Coupe SL 1300cc.                              U    !