RE: ?????

To: brit <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: ?????
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1993 22:56:35 -0500 (EST)
Robert Palmer diagnoses:
>I don't  know what type of car you have, but I have had a similar problem
>with my Spitfire 1500. Over a  period of about 2 years, if I  drove the
>  It turned out I was wrong on both accounts. One day to pass the time, I
>was reading through the shop manual (I was really getting frustrated
>with this problem) looking at all the evaporative control stuff. I finally
>found the problem.  The spit has a sealed gas tank with a vent leading
>up to the charcoal canister.  In the line leading to the canister is a
>little brass piece with a hole about the size of a sewing needle.  When
>    I cleaned the piece, and haven't had a problem since.  To check if
>this is the problem, simply open the gas cap.  If you hear a rush of
>air, and the car starts fairly quickly (give it enough time to refill
>the fuel line between the tank and the pump)  then I would check this
>piece.  It is located in the breather line right  near the charcoal
>canister.

Very true!!! In the last few years, several Spits have been diagnosed with
this problem via this list. Everything you stated is valid, except for one
omission. There are *TWO* of these brass restrictors in the tank vent line.
The one you mention near the charcoal canister, and one near the tank. On
a Spit, it's inline, directly over the tank, almost dead center. I've found
that this rear one plugs up more often. Normally, they're full of varnish
and gum from dried gasoline.
 Everything said also applies to TR6's and TR7's, though the location varies
slightly.

  Randy
   randy@taylor.wyvern.com